Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Premonition of Nostalgia

After opening last weekend in Staunton (with a preview show) and in Philadelphia, The Ballad of Dido closes this weekend. At least for now, unless we book performances at a fringe festival or another venue. So I am already starting to miss it. There have been many wonderful moments...

...Tony getting a text from his friend in Philadelphia, saying she couldn't get "Gaetulian King" out of her head...

...the preview audience laughing uproariously at funny bits in the show...

...the small but enthusiastic audience on Sunday afternoon in Philly, also laughing uproariously...

...Celi sharing with the cast that she heard a member of our preview audience humming a song from the show to herself in the dining hall...

...Our line-through in the car in which everyone said their line and also their motivation...
(My favorite quote from that event: ACHATES: What now, goddess born? AENEAS: I'm going to sing! ACHATES: I'm going to harmonize with you!") 

Several of us have friends or family who may come see us this weekend, and our Staunton show tomorrow at the Darjeeling should sell out (so if you're planning to come, come early!). But if our audience doesn't get anything else out of the show, I hope they can sense how much fun we have had and continue to have working on this project. As an actress, I feel like I've really only begun to scratch the surface of this version of Dido and what she can be, and as a composer, there are things I would like to change. So I hope there will be more iterations of this show, and with at least some of the same cast.


No comments:

Post a Comment